1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 13, 2019 3:14 PM by Victoria Van Hyning

Transcribing shorthand symbols

Nicole Guerin Newbie

I'm transcribing documents from Elizabeth Cady Stanton. While the handwriting is occasionally challenging, the writer uses a symbol which, having seen it multiple times over several pages, I feel certain that it's a shorthand notation for the word "and." If it were an ampersand, I would type it as such but this symbol is best described as an o with a tail or a lowercase g leaning to the left. All other words are normally written in full with abbreviations being standard. I know that abbreviations should generally be retained and if the writer had used an ampersand or another symbol that could be easily reproduced, I would do so. As I can't reproduce this symbol, my inclination is to bracket the word [and] to indicate that it's different from the original text or to replace it with a plus sign which would be the closest that I could type. Any other suggestions or general guidance?

• Re: Transcribing shorthand symbols
          Victoria Van Hyning Scout

Hi Nicole,

Apologies for the belated reply to your question! Could you by any chance share a link to a page where this occurs? I think in cases where you can't produce a symbol, using the brackets would be a good idea. In this case, though, your suggestion of using a + mark or ampersand might be better, as you feel pretty clear on the meaning. It will help to see the page in question though.

-Victoria, a Community Manager