1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 15, 2019 9:01 AM by Lisha Penn

Seeking photo of USMC platoon during boot camp

George Silva Newbie

How do I obtain a photo of a usmc platoon during boot camp on October 1940? I am putting together a memorial for a fallen WWII Marine from my home town! The National Archives documents I received do not have any platoon number except for start and end date! Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

• Re: Seeking photo of USMC platoon during boot camp
          Lisha Penn Scout

Dear Mr. Silva,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

In many instances, the instructor of a training facility paid for a civilian photographer to come to the base to take pictures. These photographs sometimes were filed in the records of the military unit but often times they were distributed to the individual members without a permanent copy being kept.

However, if a group photograph was taken by the Marine Corps or other official military photographers, then the photograph would be considered permanent records and are part of the photograph collections in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov for more information about the photograph that you wish to obtain.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 of 1 people found this helpful