5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2019 1:34 PM by Rebecca Collier

Where are ancestors' petitions or letters of intent for Naturalization?

Paula Burgan Newbie

Where are my ancestors' petitions or letters of intent for naturalization? I went to Northern Illinois U. to the National Archives and found the Naturalization papers for Anton Drevniak and Francis Koenig in the late 1800's but no petitions or letters of intent.  I'm looking for the cities of origin.  I have Anton's death certificate but can't find the city listed.  I've been through Castle Garden, Family Search and Ancestry.com.  They both lived in LaSalle, IL.

• Re: Where are ancestors' petitions or letters of intent for Naturalization?
          Lisha Penn Scout

Dear Ms. Burgan,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Based on the dates of their naturalization, it is likely that the city of origin will not appear on the Declarations of Intention or Petitions for naturalization. Naturalization forms prior to 1900 were not standardized and only recorded the country of origin in most cases. Unfortunately, none of those records are maintained by the National Archives.

Therefore, we search Ancestry and located a naturalization index card for Anton Drevniak in the LaSalle County Circuit Court records. Please follow these instructions provided by the LaSalle County Circuit Court to obtain copies of his records.

Also on Ancestry, we located a naturalization index card for Francis Koenig which states that he naturalized in Ottawa, IL, at the “city court.” Please follow the same instructions provided by the LaSalle County Circuit Court to obtain copies of his records.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

2 people found this helpful
              Paula Burgan Newbie

Dear Ms. Penn:  Yes, I have been to Northern Illinois U. and have copies of both naturalizations.  No help there on cities of origin, as you said.  I have death certificates for Anton Drevniak and his son.  Anton’s lists Krojause, Germany, which I can’t find. His son’s lists Schneiderville (in France) but I don’t know if that’s an origin city or just a place where Anton worked. Haven’t had any luck elsewhere so can’t pursue other avenues.  Any other suggestions?  Many thanks. Paula

Lisha Penn Scout

Dear Ms. Burgan,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

Please review the National Archives website on Immigration Records for research tips and additional sources of possible information. If you have not already done so, we suggest that you search for them on a ship passenger arrival list or passenger manifest. In some cases, the place of birth (including a city) will be included.

You may benefit by connecting with a German genealogy organization. Please search Germany-Deutschland Societies & Groups for active genealogy groups. We further suggest that you search French Vital Records for any death certificates that they may have for Anton’s son.

[Some information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

1 person found this helpful
                Paula Burgan Newbie

Dear Lisha:  Good suggestion – I will contact the German group.  Anton’s son was born in France but he was my grandfather and died in Illinois.  I have gotten the naturalization papers which were no help.  And I’ve checked the ship listings but can’t find Anton’s; I did find his wife’s.  Francis Koenig’s is another story.  His naturalization was in 1876 – earlier than Anton’s.  He was listed on the 1870 census (Konig) and married in LaSalle, IL in 1871 (Koenig).  I have found two “Konig” listings before that date on ships but such a common name, how can I tell?  P. 

Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Ms. Burgan,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

It can definitely be tricky to determine if a name on a passenger list is a match to the individual you are seeking.  Have you reviewed all of the details listed on the form (destination can sometimes be a good field for clues) and any surrounding passengers that may tie to the “Konig” listed? 

Do you have an idea about which foreign port Francis may have departed from?  If so, does that port happen to have any departure records from the appropriate time frame?  Sometimes looking at immigration to the US from the opposite direction can help.

[Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

2 people found this helpful