2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2019 11:32 AM by Theresa Fitzgerald

What is on back of Selective Service Registration card?

Cathy Cowan Newbie

What does the back side of a Selective Service Registration card look like in the Vietnam era? I am trying to find out what the back side of a registration card looked like in the mid-late 1960's.  I am researching for a TV series set in 1968 where there's a draft board office and these cards are being held up... camera will see the back side.

• Re: What is on back of Selective Service Registration card?
          Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Ms. Cowan,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Selective Service records for individuals who served after World War I and born before 1960 are

in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, ATTN: RL-SL, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-0757. There are two types of records: the ledgers and the cards. The ledgers are in the public domain and not restricted by privacy. The cards are considered personal information and written permission for release, a death certificate, and/or an indication the information is requested for genealogical purposes should accompany the request for copies of the cards. Please use the enclosed form to request a search of these records.

If permissible, perhaps RL-SL will scan the back of a card for you if it does not contain any personally identifiable information recorded on it.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful