1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 2, 2019 8:26 AM by National Archives Catalog

Transcription of different drafts of the same document

Sandra Parker Newbie

For my first transcription mission I chose one from the "Don't leave us hanging" section, a speech by President Franklin Roosevelt.  After I'd worked on it for awhile I realized that the file contained many drafts of the same speech.  Another volunteer had already transcribed the finished speech and one of the drafts that are attached, and then stopped, probably for the same reason that I did.  Should all of the drafts be transcribed?  Or is the original speech enough?

• Re: Transcription of different drafts of the same document
          National Archives Catalog Adventurer

We're so happy you selected a Don't Leave Us Hanging mission in order to help us complete the transcription.

If you find that it is EXACTLY a duplicate of a previous page in the same record, please indicate it at the top of the page in brackets.  This lets others know what you figured out.  For example  [Duplicate of page 2]

If it is a draft version and there are some differences, it is best to transcribe the entire thing.  We ask you to do this because a phrase that is slightly different in a draft may have some significance.  Researchers could search for that exact phrase and they will be able to find it thanks to your transcription.

Thank you for your work as a Citizen Archivist.

Suzanne Isaacs

Community Manager, National Archives Catalog

2 of 2 people found this helpful