1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 2, 2019 2:19 PM by Legislative Archives

How can I find a transcript of Orie S. Fuller's testimony before HUAC?

Robert Young Newbie

Orie S. Fuller was a member of the UAW who worked at the Willys-Overland plant who was brought before the House Un-American Activities Committee because of his reported support of Communists in the United States. Evidently, he was brought before the committee and interrogated. I would like to read and excerpt sections of his testimony.

How do I obtain a copy of his testimony or view it on line so I can pull quotes and / or take notes?

Many thanks.

Bob Young

• Re: How can I find a transcript of Orie S. Fuller's testimony before HUAC?
          Legislative Archives Adventurer

Hi Bob -- thank you for posting to History Hub!

The starting point to locate testimony before the House Committee on Un-American Activities (HUAC) is in the published indexes: the cumulative (1938-1954) and the supplemental (1955-1960) are both freely available online via Hathi Trust. Unfortunately, I don't see an Orie Fuller listed in either publication.

I also checked our listing of executive session HUAC transcripts, which are arranged alphabetically by witness name, and through the HUAC files on named individuals. Once again, I don't see anything on an Orie Fuller.

There's also a combined cumulative index (1951-19712) for the Senate Internal Security Subcommittee (SISS) of the Senate Committee on the Judiciary -- which is a related committee to HUAC.

Generally, the best resource for locating congressional hearing transcripts is ProQuest Congressional, in particular the Hearings Digital Collection module. ProQuest is a subscription database that may be available to you via a local academic or law library.

Hearings can often by found freely available online through sources like Hathi Trust, the Internal Archive and Google Books -- particularly if you know the title the hearing was published under.

Cheers!

Sarah