1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 8, 2019 10:33 AM by Lisha Penn

    Where do I find a certificate of citizenship issued in 1978?


      I am trying to find a copy of a certificate of citizenship issued to my daughter in 1978.  Hers has been lost, so the exact

      date and alien registration number is unknown.  We were living in Vienna, VA, at the time.  These certificates may have been

      issued by the justice dept., a court, or the state dept.  I am unsure.  Any ideas?

        • Re: Where do I find a certificate of citizenship issued in 1978?
          Lisha Penn Pioneer

          Dear Ms. McGivern,


          Thanks for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest a couple of ways for you to obtain the information you need to request your daughter’s replacement certificate:


          • If her certificate was a Certificate of Naturalization, please contact the National Archives at Philadelphia (RE-PA) via email at philadelphia.archives@nara.gov to request assistance from their staff in tracking down your daughter’s Petition for Naturalization since the naturalization took place in Virginia.  The Petition should provide the information you need in order to successfully request a replacement copy of her Certificate. 
          • Regardless of certificate type, you could also submit a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request (www.uscis.gov/g-639) to the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to obtain a copy of her old INS records which will provide the information you need. The copies you would receive from the FOIA request would likely include a photocopy of her certificate, but this would not be considered an official replacement. 


          To obtain a replacement certificate, you will submit a N-565 Form to USCIS.  Only USCIS can provide an official replacement certificate.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          [Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]


          1 person found this helpful