1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 1, 2019 8:36 AM by Jason Atkinson

seeking navigational records USS Independence CV 62 1965

Jim Kloosterman Newbie

I'm trying to determine if the USS Independence qualifies under the "Blue Water Navy bill". I have recorded all of the deck logs from Archives.Gov, however every day there are large 12 hour gaps from 8 PM until 8 AM. Does anyone know of another source that I can access to find more locations that might have been recorded?

• Re: seeking navigational records USS Independence CV 62 1965
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Kloosterman,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The National Archives does not have any records in its custody that would provide locations of naval ships during night time hours that are not recorded on the deck logs.  There might be records still in the custody of Navy that provides this information. We suggest that you contact the Records Manager of the Navy and inquire if they have any flag files or other records of Seventh Fleet, Pacific Fleet, and Pacific Command that track the locations of ships at Yankee or Dixie Stations.

If this inquiry is related to claim through the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), you may also wish to have a representative of the VA submit on your behalf a request to the Joint Services Records Research Center (JSRRC), 9301 Chapek Road, Building 1458, Room NW5708, Fort Belvoir, VA 22060-5605. The website is

https://www.rmda.army.mil/jsrrc/RMDA-JSRRC-Division.html?param=SUH-L9A-FE2-E8B. The

JSRRC conducts searches regarding exposure to Agent Orange, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other health related disability claims for the Department of Veterans Affairs.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

[information provided by Nate Patch, Subject Matter Expert]

1 person found this helpful