1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 5, 2019 1:12 PM by Sylvia Naylor

    Seeking information on US officer named Dietze


      Does anyone know how I start to search for information on a U.S. Army officer whose last name was Dietze and served at Camp Dachau in the late 1940's or early 1950's?

        • Re: Seeking information on US officer named Dietze
          Sylvia Naylor Scout

          Dear Mr. Serfozo,


          Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!


          We suggest you begin by requesting the officer’s Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and prior to 1956 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Or you may apply online at https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/.


          We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!