3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2019 11:39 AM by Rebecca Collier

    Seeking Immigration/Naturalization Records for Grandmother




      I really need assistance in finding any Immigration/Naturalization Records for my grandmother, Maria Valdes Negual. I work on the family genealogy sporadically. I seem to recall after doing some research before on archives.gov that it said that I would have to file a Freedom of Information Act request in order to get some records. I didn’t keep a lot of notes so now I am lost.


      My grandmother was brought to the US by her parents in 1885 and remained here until some time after 1923 when she appears to have returned to Cuba.


      I found a document on ancestry.com dated February 14, 1944 that has the following information:

      STEAMSHIP - 30011

      MANIFEST REFERENCE - 2993/20

      CITZ. OF CUBA. PP 9/29/48 - Is this a Passport Number ? Is there a way to get this ?


      REMARKS - 528 W 131 ST NYC


      I found another reference on ancestry.com for her Naturalization Date - December 7, 1956.

      Her Date of Birth is May 24, 1884.

      Petition Number - 680183

      Alien Registration Number - 7 753019 (This is the hand typed number on the document.)

      This was for the Index to her Petition for Naturalization filed with the SDNY in NYC.


      Can someone please tell me what additional records I can obtain? I would like a copy of the actual Petition for Naturalization as it is my understanding that it would contain more detailed information such as information about her parents. I also recall reading about a document that would have had a photograph of the immigrant, and health records. I don’t remember what that document is called. Is there is something else called a Notice? Or Intent to File for Naturalization?


      Because we are now barred from travel to Cuba and it is almost impossible to get documents from Cuba without having specific information that I do not have, it is imperative that I find any other documents here in the US. Please help me! Thank you. Really any help is appreciated.


      M. Carter

        • Re: Seeking Immigration/Naturalization Records for Grandmother
          Lisha Penn Navigator

          Dear Ms. Carter,


          Thanks for posting your request on History Hub!


          Based on the post-April 1956 date of her naturalization, your grandmother, Maria, will have an Alien File (A-File) that you can request from the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Genealogy Program since her A-File would not be transferred to the National Archives for permanent retention yet. The A-File should contain all of the documentation surrounding her naturalization process, including a Certificate of Naturalization that will have a photo attached.  Please note that naturalization paperwork normally does not include documentation of parents but there are other records that may appear in the A-File that could provide information that. 


          The PP on the passenger manifest does relate to a passport.  Passport applications from April 1925-present can be requested through the US State Department:  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/after/passport-records.html


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


          [Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]


          2 people found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking Immigration/Naturalization Records for Grandmother

              Thank you, Lisha. That is what I was looking for. I remembered the name of the other file I had read about. It is called a Visa File. Is the Visa File a part of the A-File, if it even exists? I am trying to be efficient about any record requests. Thanks.

                • Re: Seeking Immigration/Naturalization Records for Grandmother
                  Rebecca Collier Ranger

                  Dear Ms. Carter,


                  Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!


                  It is possible that a Visa could show up in the A-File, but NARA does not have a means of confirming that since the A-File is still in USCIS custody.  Your best course of action would be to request the A-File from USCIS Genealogy and review the content to see if a Visa application is present.  If there is no visa application in the file and you believe a Visa File should exist, then you could place a USCIS Genealogy Index Search Request to determine if there are other INS file types that exist for your grandmother. Please be aware that the result may just be a notation referencing the A-File you already obtained.


                  We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


                  [Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

                  1 person found this helpful