1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 5, 2019 1:09 PM by Sylvia Naylor

Yokohama war crimes trial transcript

Margaret Mayo Newbie

I've recently learned that a cousin was named in the WW2 war crimes trials that were held in Yokohama from March to May 1947. The case number is  IMTFE_Case_154-TOSHINO_et_al. I'm hoping someone can locate the case file and get me copies of the testimony and evidence that names my cousin, Orman L. Fitzhugh. He was a POW in the Philippines and was shot while escaping the Oryoku Maru after it was bombed on December 15, 1944. His body was not recovered and he is officially MIA/KIA.

Thank you

• Re: Yokohama war crimes trial transcript
          Sylvia Naylor Adventurer

Dear Ms. Mayo,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog for any records relating to the war crimes trial of Junsaburo Toshino.  Most of the records are located in Record Group (RG) (153) (Records of the Judge Advocate General) and RG 331 (Records of Allied Operational and Occupation Headquarters, World War II).  Descriptions of records in RG 331 can be viewed in the National Archives Catalog here

There is a series of records in RG 153 titled “Case Files, 1944-1949” that contains thousands of pages of records relating to the war crimes trial you are researching.  The case file number for Toshino is “67-5.” According to the name index to this series, there is one document referring to Orman Fitzhugh.  It is document numbered “(3-46) 62.” The document mentions Mr. Fitzhugh being shot while trying to escape the Oryoku Maru.  If you would like to request a copy of the document or if you would like to view the trial records, please contact the Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Also, the information you seek may be contained in an Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). IDPFs from 1940-1976 for personnel with surnames that begin with A-L are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

We hope this information is helpful.  Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful