4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2019 1:26 PM by Lisha Penn

Seeking my mother's naturalization

Seeking my mother's naturalization after she married my American born father? My mother was born in Germany. She and my father (US Army) met in Frankfurt during the reconstruction. Instead of marrying overseas, she came to the states in 1947 and they married at a military base in Pennsylvania, also my father's home state and birth. At some point she applied for citizenship but I don't know when or where. My father being in the military routinely received orders and was stationed within the US and out of the country with my mother accompanying him. So I'm not sure where she applied for citizenship. I do have their marriage record and of course her birth information, but not a birth certificate. Both of my parents are deceased so I have no direct source to inquire.  Thank you for any guidance you can provide.

• Re: Seeking my mother's naturalization
          Wayfarer

Hello Sharon:

In answering your question regardin your mother's naturalization you may want to check Family Search https://www.familysearch.org/en/ .  The site will ask for certain family information which you will need to provide.  As for your father's date of birth and state of birth, you can utilize the same site.  The site has free access.  There is also Ancestry.com, which can be utilized at your local library without a cost.

I hope this helps you out.  Keep in touch.

Pat

1 person found this helpful
            Wayfarer

Hello Sharon:

Thanks for your email.  Have you tried locating your mother's naturalization under her surname (last name at birth)?  When she applied for a VISA to come to the U.S. and followed up with applying for naturalization (citizenship) U.S. Immigration may have used her surname versus her married name.  This happened to a relative of my grandmother who came to the U.S. and later married.

Also you may want to check the NARA-ADD List of Social Security Death Index that list those who have died up to 2007.  There may be some information that can further assist you. https://aad.archives.gov/aad/series-list.jsp?cat=SB2046&bc=sb

2 people found this helpful
              Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Ms. Olson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We suggest that if you have a city and/or state location for where the naturalization could have occurred, then please search www.archives.gov/research/court-records to identify the NARA facility and Federal court. NARA will have a copy of the original Petition for Naturalization that would have been submitted through a Federal court.

We suggest further that you search the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Genealogy Program’s website to locate your mother’s records.  USCIS maintains immigration and naturalization related files that its predecessor, Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) created during the mid-1900s. You can submit an Index Search to determine if any records may exist.  It is likely that your mother may have a Certificate File (C-File) that will contain her Petition for Naturalization and Certificate of Naturalization in it.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful