2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2019 11:15 AM by Lisha Penn

Seeking Uncle's military discharge papers

I am searching for my uncle's military discharge papers.  Arthur I. Faucher was drafted at age 19 and entered the army on Nov.15, 1945 in Portland, Maine.  After the war he later was ordained a priest and served in a parish in Quebec Canada.  He passed away on Oct. 7, 2014 in Quebec, was cremated and is buried in the Grand Isle (Maine) Cemetery in the Faucher family plot.  He never was recognized as a WW II veteran and received no funeral.  I wish to remedy the situation.

• Re: Seeking Uncle's military discharge papers
          Elliot Schneider Navigator

Diana,

Was able to view alternate sources including the NARA website Army enlistment records. Here is some information below described by Ancestry.com.

Name: Arthur I Faucher

Birth Year: 1925

Race: White, citizen (White)

State of Residence: Maine

County or City: Aroostook

Enlistment Date: 15 Nov 1945

Enlistment State: Maine

Enlistment City: Portland

Service #31514442

PS

Take information and request information his military file from the NPRC using SF-180 form and request service members full military file.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

• Re: Seeking Uncle's military discharge papers
            Lisha Penn Navigator

Dear Ms. Dionne-Morang,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The information you seek may be included in his Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful