2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2019 1:00 PM by Joseph Pentheroudakis

Duplicate entries in 1910 census

Joseph Pentheroudakis Wayfarer

I have been researching a Julius Sunde, Norwegian immigrant, arrived in Seattle in 1887. I have confirmed from independent sources that he worked as a printer for a Norwegian weekly, but that he also was a fisherman.

In the 1889 territorial census he appears in Seattle, age 29 (consistent with other information I have), working as a printer. Check.

I can't find him on the 1900 census, but he appears in 1910 twice: same ward, same enumeration district, different sheets: Sheet 4, listed as a printer, age 39 (wrong), and then again on Sheet 20, fisherman, aged 48 (about right). Both times as a lodger and definitely the same person both times, per my research.

He's listed in the 1920 census as living in Seattle, aged 60 (correct). He died later that year, September 1920.

My question has to do with the duplicate entry in 1910. I noticed that there is a check mark past the end of his row on Sheet 4, where he's listed as a printer, but not at the end of the row on Sheet 20 where he's a fisherman. I understand there were copies made of the census enumeration sheets, so perhaps the check marks confirm that the entry was copied to the "official" sheet? Or maybe the check marks indicate that the person was confirmed somehow?

I have not been able to find anything about check marks off the end of the form on the 1910 instructions to enumerators.

Thank you!