1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 12, 2019 2:19 PM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking Deck Logs of USS Tappahannock

Rodney Wallace Newbie

I am looking for information about the USS Tappahannock, a US Navy Oiler commissioned during World War II and recommissioned during the Vietnam War. I am a navy veteran who served aboard the USS Tappahannock in Vietnam from 1965 through 1967. I am trying to find some kind of record that this ship existed and was in Vietnam. I am trying to find proof of my service for a claim I am making to the VA. Can anyone help me with this?  Thank you

• Re: Seeking Deck Logs of USS Tappahannock
          Jason Atkinson Tracker

Dear Mr. Wallace,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located the Logbooks of U.S. Navy Ships and Stations, 1941 - 1983 in the Records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (Record Group 24) that include the deck logs of the USS Tappahannock (AO-43) from its recommissioning on 31 May 1966 through 31 December 1967. We do not have deck logs for 1965 through 30 May 1966 as the ship was not commissioned during these dates. For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Here is a copy of the ship’s history from the Naval History and Heritage Command.

You may wish to have a representative of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) submit on your behalf a request to the Joint Services Records Research Center (JSRRC), 9301 Chapek Road, Building 1458, Room NW5708, Fort Belvoir, VA 22060-5605. The website is

https://www.rmda.army.mil/jsrrc/RMDA-JSRRC-Division.html?param=SUH-L9A-FE2-E8B. The

JSRRC conducts searches regarding exposure to Agent Orange, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and other health related disability claims for the Department of Veterans Affairs.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful