3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2019 12:25 PM by Maria Pietrantuono

    Seeking information on Michele Francalangia


      This gentleman is my great-uncle; I would like to know more about his service in WWI. He enlisted in the USA army, was sent to Toul, France and died there September 13, 1918.

        • Re: Seeking information on Michele Francalangia
          J. Andrew Tracker

          Do you have any more information, such as a date of birth? Also, do you know if he used any other names during his service?

          The Back Over There Searchable Database has the following entry for a Michele Francalangia however the date of death is different.  Might this be the same person?

          First NameLast NameAliasYoBBirthplaceLast US ResidenceDate of DeathRegimentDivisionPhoto
          MicheleFrancalangiaMich Franch1898CampodipietraCleveland, OHSeptember 19, 19185th Field Artillery1st

          Profile : Michele Francalangia (alias Mich Franch ) was born in the village of Campodipietra in or about 1898 to Carlo and Beatrice Parenti. Emigrated to America he settled in Cleveland, OH.


          • Re: Seeking information on Michele Francalangia
            Lisha Penn Ranger

            Dear Ms. Pietrantuono,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The information about his death may be contained in his burial case file. Burial case files for 1915 to 1939 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.


            The information you seek may be included in his Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF). OMPFs and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after October 1912 and prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


            1 person found this helpful
            • Re: Seeking information on Michele Francalangia

              Thank you for this very helpful information. I have requested his service and personnel records through my senator’s office. They too were very helpful. I did not know about The Back Over There data. Thank you SO much.


              Maria Pietrantuono