1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 23, 2019 7:32 AM by Rebecca Collier

Finding a marriage in 1940 census entry.

Ed Gibney Newbie

Hi all!

I'm new here so my apologies if this question is worded poorly!

I'm having some trouble finding a marriage record. I've located my grandfather in the 1940 census for Manhattan. At the time of the enumeration, my grandfather was living with his Uncle. The census shows his marital status as married, but it's written as M7. I found that the "M" with a strikethrough next to a 7 indicated a marriage where the spouse was not present. My grandfather lived in an orphanage until approx. 1935. My family recently discovered a secret first marriage in 1944 and have no knowledge of any marriage prior to 1940. Unfortunately, my grandfather has a very common Irish name so I'm at a bit of an impasse.

Ultimately, I'd like to recover a marriage license/affidavit but I feel like that's an uphill climb without the name of a spouse. I've used Ancestry to search about a dozen marriages with a groom sharing my grandfather's name in the boroughs of NYC between 1935 and 1940 but each has led me to a dead end. Is there a different pathway that I could/should take? Has anyone else encountered an M7 marital status before?

Any and all tips happily accepted! Thanks so much, everyone!

-Ed