2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2019 11:05 AM by Rebecca Collier

Seeking Information about Soldier KIA

charles brian Newbie

Hi From Ireland

i was wondering if anybody can help please i am trying to find out some info on the following Soldier: JOHN F SEEMAN; Service Number 0-463001,

148TH Engineer Corps, was Killed in Action in Normandy, WWII.

At present i have found some info such as Enlistment record / Grave Number in Normandy. I am trying to find out cause of death. John was a young man and highly decorated. If anybody can help, i would be very grateful

many thanks

Charles     

• Re: Seeking Information about Soldier KIA
          joan stachnik Scout

Hi Charles, you should consider requesting John Seeman's Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF or Burial case file). It might contain some information regarding the circumstances of his death or correspondence with next-of-kin. I say 'might' because I think the information in these files varies considerably.  But it is worth a try.  This should be available from the St. Louis Archives.  Hope this is of help to you.  joan

2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking Information about Soldier KIA
            Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Brian,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office (Record Group 407) and located operations reports for June 1944 and general orders of the 148th Engineer Combat Battalion.  The operations reports will provide information about the unit’s actions during that month. For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

The information you seek about his death may be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File (IDPF). For the IDPFs from 1940-1976 of personnel with surnames that begin with M-Z,  please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful