3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2019 3:26 PM by Rebecca Collier

Discharge by reason of Dependency

Joseph Lupo Newbie

My father received an Honorably Discharge from the Army on July 31, 1941 by reason of Dependency.  The listed reference is (Section V, AR 615-360), Sec I, WD Cir # 42, dated Mar 15/41, SO # 151, par 7, Hq, AFRTC, Ft. Knox, Ky, dated July 25/41. Do you have any idea of the reason for dependency discharge?

• Re: Discharge by reason of Dependency
          Elliot Schneider Navigator

Joseph,

I have heard this before you might be able to find in  Army Regulations from 1941 or that time period. I had heard that in those days depending upon the circumstances a service member could apply for dependency. Example birth of a child, wife depended on her spouse for care, or Children, wife, grandparents were dependent on the registrant labor and support.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful
          • Re: Discharge by reason of Dependency
            Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Lupo,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The provisions of Section V, Army Regulation 615-360 states that “when by reason of death or disability of a member of the family of an enlisted man, occurring after his enlistment, members of his family become dependent upon him for care or support, he may, in the discretion of the Secretary of War, be discharged from the service of the United States.” Sec. 29, Act June 4, 1920 (41 Stat. 775; U.S.C. 10; 652; Sec. 230, M.L., 1929).

We hope this is helpful.

2 people found this helpful