5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2019 11:03 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking personnel records for US Dept of State

Matt GAFFNEY Newbie

I am trying to find the personnel record for my uncle who worked at the US Dept of State from approximately 1948-1953.  I would like to do a FOIA request for this information.  I don't know if this information still resides at the US Dept of State - or - if it's been transferred to the National Archives?  Any help appreciated.

• Re: Seeking personnel records for US Dept of State
          Jason Atkinson Tracker

Dear Mr. Gaffney,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

The National Personnel Records Center's (NPRC) Federal Records Center Program maintains the Official Personnel Folders (OPF) of former Federal civilian employees. Access to the OPFs of employees whose employment ended after 1951 is restricted under the Privacy Act of 1974 (P. L. 93-579) and only limited types of information from these records are releasable to non-authorized users under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). If the subject of the file is living, and you do not have authorization from the person of record, only certain data may be obtained. If the subject of the file is deceased, copies of some documents and some information about the deceased may be releasable with proof of the subject's death. Proof of death is not required if the subject of record was born more than 100 years ago.

Written requests may be mailed or faxed to National Personnel Records Center Annex, 1411 Boulder Boulevard, Valmeyer, IL 62295. The fax number is 618-935-3014. Please include the full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of employing Federal agency, and beginning and ending dates of Federal service. For more information, see our web page Official Personnel Folders (OPF),Federal (non-archival) Holdings and Access.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            Matt GAFFNEY Newbie

Thanks very much.  I will contact them.

Do records automatically transfer from the non-archival to archival status once they reach a certain age, and therefore are no longer subject to the privacy act restrictions?

I appreciate your help.

Holly Rivet Adventurer

Dear Mr. Gaffney,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

The Civilian Official Personnel Files (OPFs) are not on a rolling date schedule.  All OPFs in which the subject separated from service prior to 1952 are considered archival.  All others are still subject to restrictions under the Privacy Act of 1974 (P. L. 93-579). If the exact date of separation is unknown, please begin your request with the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL).  RL-SL will be happy to make a determination and refer you to our Valmeyer location if needed. 

To begin your search, please submit a written request to the address listed below outlining the information you are seeking and purpose of your request.  We will require basic biographical and employment related information such as: full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, social security number, name and location of employing Federal agency, and dates of Federal Service. 

National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL)

ATTN: Archival Programs

P.O. Box 38757

St. Louis, MO 63138

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

2 of 2 people found this helpful