10 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2019 2:01 PM by Becca Simons

Seeking narrative for ww2 silver star recipient

TOM CHIATALAS Newbie

In my father's discharge document is listed 3 purple hearts, 2 silver stars and a bronze star.  How do I get the documents containing the narrative reasons for his awards?

Thank you, TC

• Re: Seeking narrative for ww2 silver star recipient
          TOM CHIATALAS Newbie

More details:

My request from National Archives indicated documents burned in fire.

I have original discharge papers with following below on his purple hearts and other commendations:

Louis Markiewicz: 36-596-76, Corporal, 517 PRCT, 2nd Btn, E Co.

- PRCT was a Parachute Regimental Combat Team of the Army and was attached to many units.

- Military Specialty: Radio Operator 6 months, Communications Chief 7 months

Purple Heart details:

o GO 32 HQ 517th PIR 44 - I think earned on original jump into southern France or from 8/15-28/1944, Les Arcs to La Roquette or in Italian operations prior to the jump.

o GO 28 HQ 8th Conv H 45 - I think this is from attack on 1/3/1945 @ Trois Ponts and Monte Fosse, Belgium.

o GO 37 HQ 517th PIR 45 - No clue

Other Decorations/Citations:

• EUROPEAN-AFRICAN-MIDDLE EASTERN THEATER RIBBON with 1 silver battle star.  There are 5 stars on this ribbon.

• Bronze service arrowhead

• 2 overseas service bars

- 15 July 1946, 517th PRCT awarded French Croix de Guerre

- 24 Aug 1955, E Co receved ABTF commendation from Gen Frederick

- 3 Jan 1945 2nd Btn capture of Trois Ponts - received commendation from Maj Gen Hasbrouk in support of 7th armored div.

Finally, much of what I have learned is from the 517th website.

Thanks anyone for the help.

joan stachnik Scout

Hi Tom, if you have your father's separation papers, they should also include the general order (GO) number and a date of when the awards were given. This might be a good starting point in your search. Hope this is of help. joan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Elliot Schneider Tracker

Tom,

Do you have any additional information pertaining to individual name, DOB, branch of service or any unit information. There are lots of secondary sources to help you and people here are very helpful.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

Becca Simons Scout

Dear Mr. Chiatalas,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office (Record Group 407) and located General Order No. 37 (1945), 517th Parachute Infantry Regiment [313-INF(517)-1.13]. Private Louis Markiewicz was awarded the Bronze Leaf Cluster to the Purple Heart. Unfortunately, we were unable to locate the General Order No. 32 (1944) of the 517th PIR.

We also located General Orders No. 28 (1945) of 8th Convalescent Hospital [MDHC-8-1.13]; Corporal Louis Markiewicz was awarded the Oak Leaf Cluster to the Purple Heart.

We hope this is helpful.