4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2019 3:48 PM by Henry Rosenberg

Looking for relatives

Vital Kholad Newbie

I am looking for relatives, they arrived on Ellis Island on 10.06.1893. Piotr Lokasewski and his bride Petrona Bartusiela. Can you help me in further searches?

• Re: Looking for relatives
          Henry Rosenberg Adventurer

I found this on familysearch.org. Their immigration. Can't find anything else. Are there variations of the last name? Names were sometimes changed or Americanized.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J6T5-6PK

Good luck,

Henry

Vital Kholad Newbie
              Thanks for answering. A lot of variations here 
              https://www.analizfamilii.ru/Lokashevskiy/translit.html

I want to know about Piotr Lokasewski and his bride Petrona Bartusiela's
              life in the US and communicate with their descendants, living now.
              Сan help me with this?
                Vital Kholad Newbie

Dear Henry, can there be databases of people who changed names during emigration?

Henry Rosenberg Adventurer

Vital- I don't think so. Many times people changed their names or census takers or workers at Ellis Island may have misspelled or misheard their names. I doubt there is such a database unless the moderators know of one.

With my family, I tried variations or kept my eyes open for possibilities. For example, we were told that my grandmother was born in 1897 and her given name was Elsie. However, when I checked Ellis Island documents for her last name, an 8 year old girl named Esther came up. This was for 1903 when my grandmother should have been 6. Well, she lied about her birth year which really was 1895 so she would appear younger than my grandfather and Esther was her Hebrew name. Relatives named Friedman had their last name spelled as Freedman. Another family changed their last name from Guttman(n) to Goodman and first names had many variations. Americanization was not uncommon either. Occasionally people used nicknames too especially for census takers.

So Piotr could have become Peter. Lokasewski could have been changed to Lokashevsky or even shortened to something like Lucas. Please bear in mind, I am not a moderator or expert. I have done some genealogy research and have found that unless you find irrefutable evidence for your relatives, information can come in fits and starts. I will search for a while, stop , comeback to it and occasionally I have an epiphany and find something. Also, try Googling what you are looking for. I found websites that were helpful that way. I am Jewish so there are sites like The Holocaust museum, Jewish Gen and Yad Vashem.

My wife's family was from Eastern Europe, mostly Poland. However, their town is now in the Ukraine and was formerly in an area known as Galicia. That may be something you should research too. If you know where they were born, see where it was then and where it is now, in terms of what country it is part of. The database might be available for the current country or may be listed in the former region.

Sorry for the long post but I thought my experiences might help. Feel free to message back and if you come across more info and want help, let me know.

Best of luck,

Henry

1 of 1 people found this helpful