4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2019 2:38 PM by National Archives Catalog

How can I indicate a completed Citizen Archivist Mission?

Brenda Kleager Newbie

I have worked on transcribing, tagging, and commenting on Thomas Edison's Report No. 19. I believe it to be accurate and without need of additional work by others. Is there a way to submit or indicate this?

Thanks in advance,

Brenda

• Re: How can I indicate a completed Citizen Archivist Mission?
          National Archives Catalog Adventurer

The Citizen Archivist program doesn't have a way for you to indicate that a transcription is completed.  We use more of a Wikipedia model for contributions and editing.  Anyone who is logged in can transcribe and edit an other transcriber's work.  The National Archives does not give final approval to the citizen contributed transcriptions or consider them closed to further editing.   That being said, we review records in our transcription missions and when all pages have contributions, we will remove it from the mission so it won't appear on the list.  We do this clean up work every few days.

Right now it looks like page 4 does not have a transcription.  When that is completed we'll remove it from the mission.

We're happy to answer any questions you have about Citizen Archivist - citizenarchivist@nara.gov    Thank you for your work as a Citizen Archivist!

Suzanne Isaacs

Community Manager, National Archives Catalog

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Brenda Kleager Newbie

I re-transcribed, tagged, and commented on p.4 that we discussed. I looked through to see if anything else was amiss. I am absolutely positive that I transcribed page 6 and saw it saved. Now my transcription has been deleted and another volunteer's begun but incomplete. I know I transcribed and saved it because I remember indicating  the added type- written note that was placed at an angle. I realize that anyone can make revisions, including deleting entire pages of work. This would be especially proper if there are many errors in the transcription. No action or response is expected. I merely wanted you to know that I'm trying to work as accurately and consistently as possible. I'm happy to help transcribe and I'm learning a lot of history along the way.

Brenda

National Archives Catalog Adventurer

If you worked on it from Friday evening - Sunday evening, the Catalog was undergoing routine maintenance and was offline for periods of time.  There is a chance that some part of the Catalog undergoing maintenance when you were working or tried to save.  We did not anticipate this would happen - usually you would be unable to do any work during this period.  It seems that this is likely what happened.  We apologize for this.  We really appreciate your work and we're so happy to hear that you are learning a lot of history as you transcribe.

Suzanne Isaacs

Community Manager, National Archives Catalog