19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2019 10:43 AM by Darren Cole

Susan B Anthony papers - ready for review

Donna Smillie Wayfarer

Hi everyone

New to CROWD though not to transcribing historical documents, and enjoying the opportunity to tackle something other than official records.

I've just finished transcribing a batch of the Susan B Anthony papers (some had already been worked on by others and I was able to fill in some of the gaps, and others in the batch were unstarted), and thought I'd flag that up here so that if anyone else is working on or interested in her papers, they could go take a look and either Review and Accept, or pass on any comments / feedback to me.

I changed a word in one of the papers that had previously been submitted for review, and I've got a feeling someone else came along and changed it back to what it had originally been. I *really* don't want to get into a loop where we both keep changing the same word back and forth, so I also thought here would be a good place to discuss any such differences, and come to agreement on what the final transcription should say, rather than each of us, in isolation, thinking "No! That's not what it says!" and changing it back to our own interpretation.

The batch in question is:

Susan B. Anthony Papers: Speeches and Writings, 1848-1895; 1852 , speech delivered at Batavia, N.Y., in company with Emily Clark (2 copies)

https://crowd.loc.gov/campaigns/susan-b-anthony-papers/anthony-speeches-and-other-writings/mss11049038/

-- Donna

• Re: Susan B Anthony papers - ready for review
          Victoria Van Hyning Scout

Hi Donna, and welcome to By the People!

Thanks for sharing your progress here and putting out the call for a reviewer. May I recommend Henry Rosenberg, who has been working very hard on the Mary Church Terrell papers? Henry is also looking for a review buddy. Maybe you two could review one another's work. No pressure of course, just an idea

Thanks again for your time,

Victoria, Community Manager

3 of 3 people found this helpful
              Donna Smillie Wayfarer

Hi Victoria

I just realised I didn't reply to thank you for your welcome! Much appreciated. Also very much appreciate you putting Henry and I in touch - I'll be happy to work in partnership with him to review each other's work.

Thank you!

Donna

You're welcome Donna. It's great to have you here, and I'm glad to see the buddy system in action.

Just a note that most of the team will be out of the office on the 4th and 5th, and over the coming weekend, so we won't be able to release your messages here on History Hub. You and Henry Rosenberg may want to agree a list of things to work on in advance, if you're planning to review over the long weekend. Absolutely no pressure to do so of course, just letting you know about our availability.

All best,

Victoria

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                      Donna Smillie Wayfarer

Thanks for flagging up those dates Victoria. I'm in the UK so not directly affected by the approaching holiday celebrations in the US and I tend to forget that it means colleagues in the US won't be around. I'll bear in mind that there won't be anyone around to moderate and release my posts. How long will that phase last, by the way?

For the next few days, I'll focus on working on reviewing the Mary Church Terrell papers that Henry Rosenberg has transcribed, and I'll try not to pile up too many posts in the moderation queue waiting for your return!

-- Donna

Henry Rosenberg Scout

Hi Donna. I have reviewed your work. Great job. There were some pages with minor typos so if you want you can go back and review my edits and either approve or re-re-edit, feel free.

The bulk of what I have worked on is here, Mary Church Terrell's diaries from 1905 up. If the handwriting is too difficult let me know and I can find other areas I have worked on.

https://crowd.loc.gov/campaigns/mary-church-terrell-advocate-for-african-americans-and-women/diaries-and-journals-1888-1951/?

I have been looking for someone to "buddy" with to get these documents approved. If you can do it fine but do not feel obligated.

Thanks, Henry

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      Donna Smillie Wayfarer

Many thanks Henry!

I'll go take a look at the Susan B papers so I can see what I missed, then I'll go have a look at the Mary Church Terrell diaries - if I feel comfortable that I can accurately read the handwriting there, I'll go ahead and start reviewing. I'll come back here to let you know as I progress (or if I don't feel confident about being able to review those documents accurately). Would be very happy to team up for reviewing and finishing off documents.

Is there any way of communicating directly with someone here? Or is it just via posts like these? I had a hunt round but couldn't see any way of sending personal/individual messages to other transcribers / forum users.

Thanks,

Donna

Donna Smillie Wayfarer

Hi Henry

Many thanks for reviewing the Susan B Anthony documents.

I've accepted almost all of the changes you made, thank you. There are just two pages now outstanding in that batch:

Page 9:

https://crowd.loc.gov/campaigns/susan-b-anthony-papers/anthony-speeches-and-other-writings/mss11049038/mss11049038-9/

Line 3:

I changed "auxillliary" (three Ls) to "auxilliary" (two Ls). No other changes, and I've resubmitted the document for review.

(Not sure if it was a case of I accidentally typed three Ls and you didn't spot that, or you thought I'd only typed one L and added one - with the "I"s on either side, it's really difficult to see how many Ls there are - I had to copy and paste the word into a text editor and then step through it letter by letter, counting the Ls, to be absolutely sure!)

And page 23 (the final page of the batch) is waiting for review.

When you have the time to look at those two (and hopefully accept them), that will be the batch completed!

So that things don't get too congested / convoluted in this discussion thread, I'll create a new one for the Mary Church Terrell documents you've been working on - that way I can flag up Susan B Anthony documents for review in this thread, and we can work on the Mary Church Terrell documents in the other thread. Hope that's OK...

-- Donna

Henry Rosenberg Scout

Hi Donna- It looks like Melissa made the changes. Pages 9 and 23 appear to be completed. Let me know once you have more for me to review.

As I said in the other post, I will be away and am not sure how frequently I will be able to work on this. Probably more than I think but I don't want to overpromise. I wouldn't mind contact outside of this site but I am not sure the moderators would like us doing it. You can check with Victoria. As I said previously you can work on the Mary Church Terrell diaries. I transcribed all of them from 1905 on so you will not need direction from me on what to review for a while.

If you want, wait until you have done a batch of Susan B. Anthony and let me know when you are ready for me to review. Since the moderators will not be in 7/4 or 7/5, either let me know by tomorrow or next Monday. As long as we know someone will review our pages, I feel confident they will get done. There is no rush.

Thanks,

Henry

Hi Henry,

You all may communicate with one antoher however you like! We're not the boss of you

We of course love to see how you're getting on and to hear the news of your progress and any struggles that we can help to alleviate, but if you find it works better for you to chat on Twitter or through some other means, please, by all means do so. If you want to use Twitter and could include our handle in relevant messages, that would be nice. We're @Crowd_LOC, for those who don't know.

-Victoria

Sharon McKinley Adventurer

So, here's the question. Victoria, are you suggesting we might communicate outside of this forum? If 2 people are working together, it may just be noise for others to wade through specific editing comments. If there were a secure way to exchange emails, for example. Just wondering.

I'm really enjoying these threads. I suspect that I am a bit too haphazard to buddy with anyone successfully (ADD at its finest), but it might be fun to try. Still hoping someone fluent in German will turn up to review my Mary Church Terrell diary transcriptions (or maybe y'all will eventually give up and let me review myself!). I'm not the be-all and end-all of German, but one does need a certain skill level to transcribe foreign languages effectively, which for MCT includes entries in French, German, and Italian. What a talented, hard-working student she was! I have run across a transcription done by someone who didn't have quite enough fluency to pull to off, but the winner (I wish I'd taken a screen shot!) was a bizarre page completely filled with miscellaneous letters by someone who apparently had nothing better to do.

Thanks to all for your contributions to all this. I've been reviewing some left-handed stuff lately, and it's so rewarding!

Sharon McKinley

Hi Sharon,

If people want to communicate outside of this forum, that's absolutely up to them. I'm not aware of a direct messaging function here on History Hub, but I'm looping in our friends at National Archives who drive this platform. Kelly Osborn, Darren Cole is this functionality available? If it is I'm pretty sure it would be turned off for the By the People accounts as per Library of Congress policy, but it might be available to other users.

As for a safe way of exchanging email I feel less able to speak to that. Some online services allow people to communicate directly without exchanging phone numbers or email, but I think those systems are pretty customized to the product or forum that owns them. Twitter and other social media platforms are another way for people to communicate, if all the relevant parties are on the same system, of course.

Hope that helps!

-Victoria

Donna Smillie Wayfarer

When I first mentioned the possibility of communicating directly with someone (e.g. Henry Rosenberg), I was thinking of a direct message function within this forum system, not going off-system entirely - simply a way of exchanging short messages with someone without cluttering up the public message threads.

And in fact, I've found it - when you click on the blue and white "bell" button top right (for notifications), there's an option there to "Send message", but when I went to try sending a test message to you, Victoria, it said that one can only send a private message to one's "Friends / Connections (i.e. someone who is following you)". So perhaps if Henry and I followed each other, we could use that if we needed to ask each other a question, or some similar exchange that might not be of huge interest or relevance to anyone else.

Having said all that, though, and in the light of your comment, Sharon McKinley, about enjoying these threads, and the fact that now that I know that *everyone's* posts have to be moderated and approved and not just Newbies' (which is what I initially assumed) I'll be cutting back on the number of posts I make, I've kind of revised my original thoughts on using that message facility. You just never know when a question and answer sequence might be of interest to others.

-- Donna

Melissa Himes Adventurer

I just reviewed these and changed one word on image 9 from little to title.  Other than that it appears perfect. 

We would [suggest that] advise the

scattering of Temperance papers rather than

tracts, for there are many persons who will

not stop to look even at the title page of a tract,

In context of the document, they suggest scattering papers as no on will read a tract, not even the title page. 

I accepted the other page. 

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                    Donna Smillie Wayfarer

Batch of papers ready for review:

Susan B. Anthony Papers: Speeches and Writings, 1848-1895; 1848 , first public address

https://crowd.loc.gov/campaigns/susan-b-anthony-papers/anthony-speeches-and-other-writings/mss11049037/?transcription_st…

12 images in the batch, 4 are completed, the other 8 are ready for review.

-- Donna

Henry Rosenberg Scout

Hi Donna- I reviewed your pages. How do you do it? They were giving me a headache. FYI, I only edited 3 pages. #8 was a minor correction. Pages 4 & 9, I tried to correct some of the words in brackets but I may not have them right either. My suggestion would be to accept them if all else looks good. If you can't figure it out, then nobody else will either in my opinion.

Thanks,

Henry

Melissa Himes Adventurer

I reviewed and accepted both pages.  Nice work! 
                                        The new interface seems better for viewing.  But, it would be nice if this program had a highlighted ruler to help with these types of documents.  (Perhaps it does and I haven't found it yet?)   They are very difficult to read, not so much because of the cursive, but the size of the digital images.  Even enlarging the image, or going to the full page screen, makes this a very time-consuming endeavor.  The ruler allows one to not only keep track of their position on the page, but, the highlighting sometimes enhances the our ability to read the old manuscripts.  The same is true of being able to invert images to the negative. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful

Hi Melissa,

The site does not have a ruler, but something I can advise based on my own experience is to use a post-it note on your screen, if you can bear to! This is one of the nice affordances of working with digital images of original documents. You would never put a post-it on an original, but you can on the screen. It helps keep your place and prevent "eye-skip" which is when you eye conflates or skips lines of text, usually because there's a word that appears in two separate lines.

-Victoria