2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2019 11:27 AM by Becca Simons

    Are there pictures of enlisted army men?


      I am searching for any photo's of enlisted men that served during WWII. My Uncle served and was killed in action. We do not have any pictures of him a his parents had both died and my father, a much younger sibling, did not have a copy of his brother's picture.

        • Re: Are there pictures of enlisted army men?
          Dave Kerr Adventurer

          Have you contacted the Army Human Resources Command or the NPRC, St. Louis, and requested his IDPF?


          A name would be helpful.

          • Re: Are there pictures of enlisted army men?

            Dear Ms. Samaniego,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            The "official" photos of individuals, taken by the military, are not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and are not retained by the service. If the photo you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File. However, there is no guarantee the photo will be present.


            Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) for officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service after June 1917 and prior to 1956 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. To request an OMPF, please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


            Information about your uncle’s death may be included in his Individual Deceased Personnel Files (IDPF). For WWII-1976, the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) currently holds the Army IDPFs for men with surnames A-L.  For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov. RL-SL has not received the IDPFs of veterans with surnames M-Z yet. To request those records,please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405.


            Photographs of various U.S. Army activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov once you know what unit he served in.

            We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!


            1 person found this helpful