9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2019 4:03 PM by joan stachnik

Information on WWII casualties

joan stachnik Adventurer

Hi, I was looking for information on the circumstances of the death of two WWII soldiers (Marion Dews and Willard Clouse, both of the 320th GFAB). Both died at Normandy on June 6, 1944 and both are buried in France. I've requested and received their Burial case files (IDPFs) and, although lengthy, the contents of the files are primarily correspondence with families regarding personal effects and burial site. No information regarding place (other than Normandy) or cause of death is included. My reason for asking is that I think one or both of these men were on the same glider as my dad when it crashed. I know two men on that glider were killed (one of them was sitting next to my dad), and I would like to know for certain if it was these two soldiers.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. thank you, joan

• Re: Information on WWII casualties
          Elliot Schneider Tracker

Joan,

Good to see your still plugging away. I also confirmed with alternate sources the two men KIA on 6 June of 1944. Did you ever track down any After Action Reports for June of 1944 for the 320th. I'm gonna keep looking as well. How about morning reports for them, did they show up on your dads morning reports as well.

Elliot Schneider

joan stachnik Adventurer

Hi Elliot, thanks for the reply. Yes I have looked at the morning reports for these names and they are listed as KIA or DOW for June 6/7. And my dad had kept their names written down in his address book.

I have seen some after action reports, but they seem to be more general in information. It was suggested by one of the archivists to look at the staff daily journals for this unit. I'm not familiar with the content of those but they are at College Park. That's my next try.  I will let you know if I find anything. joan

Elliot Schneider Tracker

Joan,

I found something interesting on the NARA catalog from their website. When you search use the words "Glider Reports" in the search box they have several reports from 436th, 442nd, IX Troop carrier interrogation checklists for Glider pilots. Not sure if this is something that may help but worth looking into.

Elliot Schneider

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                Holly Rivet Adventurer

Dear Ms. Stachnik,

Thank you for posting your question on History Hub!

You may begin an inquiry by requesting a copy of his Individual Deceased Personnel File from the National Archives at St. Louis.  These record generally contain correspondence, notification to Next-of-Kin, burial arrangements, and cause of death.  Information about the service member's rank, organization, and personal effects are also typically included.   Please submit a completed SF-180 to the National Archives at St Louis to start an inquiry.  Please include any other information you may have such as place of birth, mother's name, service number, and of course the date of death.  You may also view these records for free in our Archival Research Room.

National Archives - St. Louis

ATTN: RL-SL

P.O. Box 38757

St. Louis, MO

63138-0757

stl.archives@nara.gov

We hope this information has been helpful!

Holly Rivet

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                  Dave Kerr Adventurer

So what you want is a roster of the glider that your dad was in.

I would be surprised if these records exist.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      joan stachnik Adventurer

Dave, yes that is exactly what I would like, but I know they probably do not exist. I've seen a few for paratroopers, but none for glider troops. It is my understanding that it was up to the pilots to file or record the flight manifests. For my dad's glider, the pilot as well as the flight officer were killed, which unfortunately happened often.  Thanks, joan

Becca Simons Scout

Dear Ms. Stachnik,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1905-1981 (Record Group 407) and located a battalion history of the 320th Glider Field Artillery Battalion for 9 July 1943 to 6 June 1945 that includes lists of soldiers killed or wounded in action.  For access to and/or copies of the history, please contact the National Archives in College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful