13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2019 10:12 AM by fpommett

Unit History: 498th Medical Company (AA)

Looking for unit history of the 498th Medical Company (AA).  What is the best website to find that information?

• Re: Unit History: 498th Medical Company (AA)
          J. Andrew Scout

Global Security is usually reasonably reliable.

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/498med-co.htm

I also found this, but it looks a little dated and I can't vouch for the source.

http://www.angelfire.com/ny2/longbeach/498history.html

1 person found this helpful
            Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Pommett,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Medical Unit Records, 1965-1973 in the Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia (Record Group 472) that include an organizational history for 1970 (Box 167) and daily journals for 1968-1969 (Box 168) of the 498th Medical Company. For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 people found this helpful

Thank you very much Ms. Collier.  I had sent an inquiry to archives2reference a few days ago and received a reply,  It looked like a boilerplate response saying that it would be 3 weeks before I got a reply from them.

Do you have suggestions as to how I can find electronic copies of the 498th Med Company unit histories dating back to 1965 and lasting through 1971, which are the years it was deployed to Vietnam?

Also, is it likely that these records are not in electronic form at all, and are just stored on site in College Park in their original paper form?

Your assistance has been very helpful.

Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Francis,

It is possible that the Army still owns the records, they maybe stored at different locations within the Archives until the Army and the retention periods are met. My understanding is that you would need to file a FOIA request also known as Freedom of information act. There is a person whom the Archives uses as the Army records manager believe his name is Anthony Gibson-Crawley. If someone could post his Information for Francis.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

1 person found this helpful
                      Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Pommett,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

As indicated in our earlier response, we located an organizational history for 1970 (Box 167) and daily journals for 1968-1969 (Box 168) of the 498th Medical Company in Records Group 742. These records are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) and that is why you were asked to contact RDT2 for access to and/or copies of the records. The records are in paper format only. No digital images are available via the catalog.

They are NOT in the custody of the Army as suggested by Mr. Schneider.

We hope this information is helpful.

2 people found this helpful
                          Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Mrs. Collier,

Sorry Mrs. Collier for the confusion. In the earlier portion of Francis post he said he was looking through 1971. Noticing the records only went up to 1969 on daily journals and 1970 on histories. Just wanted to let him know that if 1971 is what he was also seeking the records might still be in the custody of the Army.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

Ms. Collier,

Thank you for your first message sent on July 18th.  You answered a big question for me regarding the non-digitized status of the only available Vietnam era records for the 498th Medical Company.  Sadly, that will likely bring my research to a close, as I reside in Gainesville, FL and will be unable to travel to College Park, MD to view the paper records. 

In this digital age we have come to expect that "everything" is available online!  Which is why I mistakenly thought that I could do this research from my home in Florida.  I appreciate your information.  I will share this with my Vietnam veteran colleagues who served with the 498th Med Company and who had expressed a great deal of interest in seeing what my research uncovered.

Regards,

Frank Pommett

Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Francis,

Mrs. Collier was letting you that the information they have is in original paper copies only. The Textual records department will turn those records you seek into scanned digitized copies which can be uploaded to your email or you can choose to have them put onto a CD.

Sorry for the confusion earlier your earlier statement said you wanted through 1971. Mrs. Collier corrected me and the records NARA has is for the 498th Medical Company while it was in Vietnam.

Elliot Schneider