2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2019 11:51 AM by janmcdonald4

locating a passport application

Hi -

I am trying to locate a passport application for my wife's great-great-great uncle Louis (aka Leib) Cotler (aka Cutler, Kotlar, Kotler, Kotlier, Cotlier, Kothar) b. 6 May 1864 d. 1935.  On a New York Passenger and Crew List traveling from Cherbourg to NYC sailing on the SS Mauretania 25 Aug 1928 and arriving NYC 30 Aug 1928, he is shown as having passport number 555384 (age 64, residence 29 Beckford St, Beverly, MA), but he may have had several different passport applications since he traveled back and forth between present-day Ukraine and the US (primarily through NYC, bound for the greater Boston area) many times between 1907 (believed to be his first entry to the US as Leib Kotler - arrival in NY from Rotterdam on 7 May 1907 on the SS Rijndam) and 1928, including (but not limited to) annually from 1908-1916, 1922, 1925, and 1928.  I have further information about these trips (arrival dates and vessels) if that would be helpful.

He first declared his Intention to become a US citizen 16 May 1910, submitted a Petition for Naturalization on 2 April 1915 (#14647) and subsequently appears to have submitted a second Petition for Naturalization on 15 May 1917 (#21601) after his petition was denied 8 January 1917 because of a "lack of knowledge of history and government" and a third on 19 December 1921.  His Petition may have been denied and/or dismissed 9 January 1922.  He again declared his Intention to become a US citizen 21 April 1922.   I have not located any naturalization documents past that date.  All of these applications were in Massachusetts District Court in Boston.

I would be willing to search through databases myself but from what I have read the data is on microfilm only and not available or indexed on-line.  Could you please let me know how to proceed?

Thank you very much.

Jan McDonald

• Re: locating a passport application
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Ms. McDonald,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Passport Applications, 1/6/1906 - 3/31/1925 in the General Records of the Department of State (Record Group 59). For access to these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2refernce@nara.gov. In your email please include the passport applicant’s name, date of birth, place of residence at the time the application was made, and the approximate year of travel.  Be sure to also specifically note the passport number since you already have that piece of information and it will be useful in quickly locating any existing document. The microfilm publication for this series, M1490, has been digitized and made available online by our partner, Ancestry.com, for a fee. The digitized records on Ancestry.com are available free of charge in all National Archives locations including those in our regional archives and Presidential Libraries. For more information about researching passport applications at the National Archives, please consult this web page: https://www.archives.gov/research/genealogy/passports

Passport applications from April 1925 to the present are still in the custody of the U.S. Department of State. See their web page Get Copies of Passport Records for information about requesting these records.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

1 person found this helpful