2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2019 7:47 PM by David Johnson

NARA microfilm records secretary of state correspondence 1852

David Johnson Newbie

How do I find/request microfilm of the Secretary of State (in this case Daniel Webster) correspondence with the Governor of California between January and June 1852

Thank you,

David Johnson

• Re: NARA microfilm records secretary of state correspondence 1852
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Mr. Johnson,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located two series that may include the correspondence you seek: Domestic Letters, 1784-1906 and Letters Received, 1789-1906 in the General Records of the Department of State (Record Group 59). Both have been digitized and the images are available in the Catalog.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • Re: NARA microfilm records secretary of state correspondence 1852
              David Johnson Newbie

Dear Rebecca,

Many many thanks for your terrific advice. I was able to access the Domestic Letters, 1784-1906 online via Fold. Unfortunately, the letter I'm looking for was not on the reel for the early 1852 dates (most likely January, given the correspondence between Webster and the Mexican Charge d' Affaires), but I'm thinking that it might have been misplaced in, for example, the 1851 correspondence, so I will tomorrow look there. As far as I can tell, only a portion of the Letters Received, 1789-1906, has been digitized, so I've requested the relevant, early 1852 (January and February) reels through my university ILL office.

If you can think of any reasons why Webster's letter to the Governor of California was not in the Domestic Letters, 1784-1906 file, I'd be grateful for your further advice. Webster wrote to Mexican Charge d' Affaires Gonzalez de la Vega on January 24, 1852: In reply, the Undersigned has the honor to inform Mr. de la Vega, that a copy of his note shall be transmitted to the Governor of California, with a view that the desired investigation may be made.

I can't thank you enough for your expertise and generosity!

Very best,

David