4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2019 12:08 PM by Marene Baker

land ownership records

I'm looking for the land ownership history for a property in New Jersey

• Re: land ownership records
          Marene Baker Adventurer

Thank you for posting your question to History Hub.  Typically the best place to start when looking for the history of a property is with the County Assessor’s office. They should be able to give a fairly good listing of who owned the property over time.  Their older records may have been retired to the City or State Archives or Historical Society so don’t be surprised if they refer you to those organization, or simply tell you they don’t have records after that a certain date, even if the property is older.  Another great place to check is your local public library.  Please keep in mind that because New Jersey was part of the 20 states that were never a public domain state the records will not be in the National Archives.  The 20 states include the original 13 colonies and Hawaii, Kentucky, Maine, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, and West Virginia.

3 people found this helpful
              L Rosales Newbie

I have seen a recorded document stating my self as grandtor grandtee to my grandfather wishes

The whole thing is i have my moms side of the family who are well taken care of who didnt even need what my grandfather Ben Talamantes left for me .other than there greeded and hatered. And for greed of money. They went as far as keeping the will stealing my Idenity forging document and having my Dad go through so much pain and suffering so i know the Archives are there i just want ajudge and jury to see them charge every single one of my familys to pay by the law for there greedy ways. And for the abruse and suffering my grand father had to deal with while he was alive

Marene Baker Adventurer

As I stated above " Typically the best place to start when looking for the history of a property is with the County Assessor’s office. They should be able to give a fairly good listing of who owned the property over time.  Their older records may have been retired to the City or State Archives or Historical Society so don’t be surprised if they refer you to those organization, or simply tell you they don’t have records after that a certain date, even if the property is older.  Another great place to check is your local public library."  Given that these are relatively newer records you should work with the county and state.

2 people found this helpful
                L Rosales Newbie

I would like to see some document s my gradfather had recorded in 1978 for my self as a minor at the time being his only true hier Grandtor for title of deed@