1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 3, 2019 11:48 AM by Becca Simons Branched to a new discussion.

    Seeking picture of dad in uniform with his medals from Vietnam


      My dad fought in Vietnam, but I don't have his photograph in uniform with his Vietnam medals.  Where can I find this photograph?  Does the Army keep these somewhere?


      Thanks for your help.

        • Re: Seeking picture of dad in uniform with his medals from Vietnam

          Dear Ms. McKinney,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The "official" photos of individuals are not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and are not retained in a separate collection by the service. If the photo you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). However, there is no guarantee the photo will be present.


          OMPFs of those who served in the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War are located at NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 to request these records.


          If there was an awards ceremony, there is a slight possibility that it is included with the Army Signal Corps photographs taken during the Vietnam War. For access to this collection, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Still Picture (RDSS) via email at stillpix@nara.gov and their web site is https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/photographs-dc.html.


          We hope this information is helpful.

          1 person found this helpful