5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2019 10:35 AM by J. Andrew

What information is there on the movie "Star Wars"?

The original Star Wars trilogy from 1977-1983 has become an iconic part of American pop culture and a historical phenomenon that I want to know if there is any information about anything having to do with the movie in the US National Archives.  This question is prompted by a picture I came across while Googling the Skywalk Cinema for "The Empire Strikes Back" in 1980 and came across a picture of a view from the Skywalk in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1973 that is in the Archives database.

• Re: What information is there on the movie "Star Wars"?
          J. Andrew Scout

"any information about anything having to do with" is a very broad question about a media franchise spanning multiple decades and with thousands of individuals, organizations and locations involved in the making thereof. 

The National Archives is a repository of the permanently valuable records of the federal government.  To such a degree that any of the persons, places or things associated with the Star War franchise would turn up in the holdings of the National Archives, it would be because they in some way interacted with branch or agency of the federal government. It is entirely possible many of the individuals involved show up the ways that any individual might show up in records held by the National Archives, ranging from census records to records of military service and/or draft registration to letters they wrote to government agencies on various matters of public concern. And of course some of the filming locations, such as the Redwood National and State Parks, are managed by the federal government. Some of the celebrities will also show up as visitors to the White House and the like.

Probably the best way to figure out what if anything the National Archives has on specific topics related to Star Wars would be to search the National Archives Catalog.

1 person found this helpful

Yes, it is very broad, because its impact has made Star Wars part of our national heritage.

I did a search for Star Wars and nothing came up, including the PSA in the next comment, so I may not have been searching correctly.  There have been numerous interactions with the Federal government, including as you say visits to the White House and the use of National Parks such as the Redwood and Death Valley, but none of those came up in my search.  Neither did the SEC filing when George Lucas sold the franchise to Disney, but I have through another source.  And thanks for mentioning using more specific searches also such as the individuals names.

Darren Cole Scout

This is only tangentially related, but there is an Anti-Drunk Driving PSA featuring characters from the Mos Eisley Cantina in the National Archives Catalog:

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE DRUNK: STAR FRIENDS

https://catalog.archives.gov/id/74265

cantina musicians

millenium falcon

1 person found this helpful