1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 28, 2019 1:05 PM by Rebecca Collier

    Military dependent medical records


      Are they still located in your facility and how do I request them?

        • Re: Military dependent medical records
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

          Dear Ms. Werkmeister,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) stores inpatient, outpatient, dental and mental health records created at Naval medical treatment facilities. Some record collections date from the 1940s and 1950s, but more comprehensive information exists beginning in the 1960s. Naval facilities transfer Dependent Medical Folders (DMFs) to the NPRC, generally after 1-5 years of inactivity.

          The NPRC stores Dependent Medical Folders (DMFs) for dependents treated at Army, Air Force or Coast Guard facilities from 1954 to the present. Records prior to 1954 were destroyed in accordance with legal authorities in effect at the time. The military medical facilities transfer the DMFs to the NPRC, generally 1-5 years after the last treatment.

          If possible, contact the last medical treatment facility to determine if records have been retired to the NPRC before sending a request. If they did, then send your request to the National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. 

          We hope this information is helpful.

          1 person found this helpful