3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2019 12:43 PM by Deana Newcomb

    WWII military civilian employees


      I was told my father worked in radar development for the military in Washington, DC and Manhattan during WWII. Where do I begin researching this information?


      Thank you, very much!

        • Re: WWII military civilian employees
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Ms. Newcomb,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          If your father was a federal employee, there should be an Official Personnel File (OPF) for him. OPFs for individuals who worked for the U.S. government in a civilian capacity prior to 1954 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138. Please include full name used during Federal employment, date of birth, Social Security Number (if applicable), name and location of employing Federal agency, beginning and ending dates of Federal Service. For more information, see Official Personnel Folders (OPF), Archival Holdings and Access. These records would not include personnel records for employees of private corporations or universities providing services to the government under federal contracts.

          Also, if your father registered for the draft during the war, the name and address of his employer at the time of his registration may be included on the draft registration card. The first draft registration under the 1940 Selective Training and Service Act required all males ages 21-36 to register on October 16, 1940. Between 1941 and 1943, there were five more registrations, and the ages changed to 18-44. Registration on April 27, 1942, included men not already in the military who were born on or between April 28, 1877, and February 16, 1897.

          WWII draft registration cards are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL). Please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov. Registration cards for 41 states have been made available online through Fold3.  There may be a fee for this service, or you can access Fold3 for free at any NARA location, to include presidential libraries.. Also, some public and university libraries make Fold3 available to their patrons.

          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

          2 people found this helpful