2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2019 11:32 AM by Becca Simons

    WWII local draft boards records


      Seeking information on classification of registered men for a specific local board so to complement generic Selective Service guidelines. I believe such records are labeled as “Form 100”.


      Such information would be very important to me as my research deals with dependents and mobilization.


      Any help would be greatly appreciated!


      Kelly Strada,

      PhD student

      Economics - Northwestern University

        • Re: WWII local draft boards records
          Holly Rivet Tracker

          Hello Ms. Strada,


          Thank you for posting your question to the History Hub!


          Unfortunately, the National Archives does not hold the Classification Questionnaire (SSS Form 100). They, along with several other SSS Forms and submitted documents (of medical, religious, or conscious objector nature) were destroyed by the state Selective Service boards in accordance with life cycle regulations in the 1970s.  The state archive may have some records that were not required to be sent to the National Archives still on file. 


          The majority of our holdings are the Registration Cards (SSS Form 101) and Classification Ledgers (SSS Form 102) for the purpose of reconstructing records of military service that were destroyed in the 1973 Fire.  In addition to these, we do have some states' forms pertaining to immigrants and Japanese Americans (DSS 300 series).  Please follow this link for a complete listing of records we have pertaining to records of the Selective Service. 


          We hope this information has been useful!



          Holly Rivet

          • Re: WWII local draft boards records

            Dear Ms Strada,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            We searched the National Archives Catalog and located 162 series for local draft boards in the Records of the Selective Service System (Record Group 147). Also, here is the link to classification records by state. If you would like to request these records, please contact the research facility listed in the series description.


            We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck on your research!