1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 1, 2019 11:15 AM by Becca Simons

    Seeking family of WWII Vet


      My dad was a WWII Veteran. He had a bracelet of a fellow veteran, that is now in my possession.  The bracelet has his name on the front and on the back is an eight number digit. Can I use this information to find out where he was from, birth date, or any information so that I might get the bracelet to someone in his family?

        • Re: Seeking family of WWII Vet

          Dear Ms. Abernathy,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The National Archives does not have the present addresses of former service personnel or their survivors on file and thus we are unable to provide you with his information.


          However, you may want to request an Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) for the veteran. These and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Many Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, but proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.


          If he passed away while in service, his next-of-kin information may be contained in his Individual Deceased Personnel File or IDPF. IDPFs for WWII with surnames beginning with A-L are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. Please write to RL-SL or email stlouis.archives@nara.gov.


          RL-SL has not received IDPFs with surnames M-Z yet. In order to request those records, please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty & Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405.


          We hope this is helpful. Best of luck on your research!