12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2019 8:31 PM by ignat

Where can I find my ancestors Intent & Petition records?

Wayfarer

Pantelimon Ignatenko, U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918

Hello everyone!

November 20, 1911 - three young guys from my village of Kaniv district arrived to Ellis Island, New York City, NY and their lives were changed forever.

1. Name of ancestor being researched: Kalenik Avksentiev Ignatenko (was born: 1892, Martynivka, Kaniv district, Kyiv, Russian Empire)

The New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island) has remarks near his name:  V2448/943, 2-594170, 2/23/39.  

1. Arriving date: 20 Nov 1911
      2. Father: Avksentij Stefanov Ignatenko (1860, Martynivka, Kaniv, dist., Kyiv, Russian Emppire)
      3. Mother: Zinoviya Grygorieva Ignatenko (Malyareva), (1864, Darievka, Kaniv dist., Kyiv, Russian Empire)
      4. Brother: Pantelimon Avksentiev Ignatenko (1888, Martynivka, Kaniv dist., Kyiv, Russian Empire)

arrived in USA in 1906. In 1917 -  he used to live in Chester, PA

1. Additional surnames of interest:

Stepan (Prokofiev) Doroshenko, 1895

Mina Jevdokimov Rakoid, 1893

Rodion Doroshenko, 1886

If any of you have heard anything about them or these names sound familiar to you, please, please! let me know! Thank you!

PS: V2448/943, 2-594170, 2/23/39    What are this numbers? What do they mean?

How and Where could they help me in my research?

• Re: Where can I find my ancestors Intent & Petition records?
          Wayfarer

The numbers are volume and digital numbers  so the V is the volume and the other number could be the roll number. Have you checked the ellis island database site?  https://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/passenger .  Also the familysearch.org is free for research.  It is a morman site so they want all the records they can get.  Here is a quick query for Kalenik Avksentiev Ignatenko.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?givenname=Kalenik%20Avksentiev&surname=Ignatenk&birth_place=Russia&co…

3 people found this helpful
            joan stachnik Scout

Hi Liliya, regarding the numbers/date (2-594170, 2/23/39) on the manifest, they might be related to a petition for naturalization. Meaning that the passenger manifest had been used to verify someone's arrival when they submitted paperwork for citizenship. So the number and date may be an arrival certificate number and date. Could they have applied for citizenship in 1939?  I checked the passenger manifest for one of my grandfathers and there were similar numberings next to his name. On that manifest the number (X-XXXXXX) corresponded to his certificate of arrival number and the date to the date the certificate was issued.

I found this explanation on the following weblog (http://greatoaksgrow.blogspot.com/2010/05/guide-to-interpreting-passenger-list.html ). It had quite a bit of information on passenger manifests.  Per this website, the VL (not V2) might mean verification of landing

Hope this is of use to you. joan

2 people found this helpful
                Wayfarer

Thank you very much, Joan! You are absolutely right! It's LV! )) And thanks for the link!

I agree the numbers/date (2-594170, 2/23/39) on the manifest could be related to a petition for naturalization but I can't find it

Joan, did you find your grandfathers petition and naturalization certificate? If yes, where? How?

joan stachnik Scout

Hi Liliya, for my one grandfather, it was pre-internet days when I searched for information. So I went to a regional NARA facility to find his naturalization papers, using microfilm records, and had to request from the Archives directly. The certificate of arrival was with his declaration of intent. The actual petition for naturalization was about 5 years later.

And you might have already done this, but I also searched county records for death certificates and church records for marriage dates.

If your family member filed his petition in New York (possibly Southern District), you might want to try the New York Archives or a NARA regional facility in the NY area. Not everything may have been digitalized? Also it's possible he never completed the application. Do you know for certain that he did?

Also, again you might have found this. but there was a WWI draft registration card for a Rodion Doroshenko (born 1886), living in New York and from Kiev, Russia. It looks like he served a year in the army (1917-1918) and died in 1950. I was not able to attach the images of these records but if you cannot find on Familysearch,org, I can email  them to you. Not sure of your interest in this.  Hope this is of some help,  joan

Wayfarer

Hi Joan, thanks for your time helping me with my research! I have found records about Rodion Doroschenko but it wasn't much helpful... So, seem I have to request the docs from the Archive but I have no the file # and the name because it's very possible that he changed it

1 person found this helpful
                            joan stachnik Scout

Hi Liliya, glad to have been of some help. Finding information is difficult. One of my grandmothers never became a citizen, so even though I know exactly where she lived and where she was from, I have found very few documents for her!

I have found the Archives services to be very helpful.  You might want to see if there is an alien case file for him also, if he never became a citizen. Or if the certificate of arrival number is of any use? But if you think he changed his name...not sure what to do.  joan

Wayfarer

Hi Joan! I have same situation with Kalenik's brother Pantelimon as you have with your grandmother. I know exactly where he lived in 1917 (by Registration card), where he was from, I have my tree full of his relatives and have his Birth Certificate (from his Ukrainian hometown) I have found nothing more for him here

This all persuade me the brothers changed their names...

Thank you for help and sharing with me your experience

joan stachnik Scout

Liliya, you listed a few other names in your post. Not certain how much information you have on these other individuals but Familysearch.org is a great source, as suggested by Christa. I did a quick search for Mina Rakoid and found a ship manifest with an individual by that name (line 3), arriving to New York in Nov 1911 at age 18, sailing from Libau.  Hope this is of help to you. Joan Ship manifest 1911

Wayfarer

Joan,

November 20, 1911 - three young guys from my village of Kaniv district arrived to Ellis Island, New York City, NY and their lives were changed forever.

I have searched all possible records on Ancestry, MyHeritage and FamilySearch I found on "NY Passenger Arrival Lists" records about my ancestor Kalenik Ignatenko and his friends Stepan Doroshenko and Mina Rakoid but nothing more 

Mina Rakoid, NY Passenger Arrival Lists, 1911

Scout

Dear Ms. Vickers,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

With regarding to the notations on the passenger list record, all relate to verification of Kalenik’s arrival. VL (verification of landing) 448/9943 was likely the number of the certificate of admission that was issued. 2-594170 is an application for verification number. The 2 is the district number, which in this case is New York. The rest of the number is the specific application number.  2/23/39 is the date of the verification. The scratched out note looks like it refers to an Ellis Island registry, which would have been performed for someone who could not have their arrival verified - it looks like maybe they were going to grant registry and then decided that they believed this to be the record of his arrival.  If there was a problem verifying his arrival, it may be because the name in 1939 did not match the name on the manifest. Though documentation/correspondence regarding issues of verifying arrivals does exist, we were unable to locate any references indicating that a registry file or INS correspondence file exist for Kalenik.

Often when an individual was verifying their arrival to the US in the decades following their arrival it was due to pursuit of citizenship - whether potential preparation for or actual application submission.  A Certificate of Arrival was required with Declarations of Intention after September 27, 1906.

To pursue any existing naturalization paperwork [Declaration of Intention (with Certificate of Arrival) and/or Petition for Naturalization] you will need to consider where an individual resided in the US (city/state). This link provides a list of Federal courts in each state. You can reach out to the NARA office covering the court/state where any individual of interest resided and request a search of their naturalization holdings for that specific geographic area.

We hope this is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

[Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]

4 people found this helpful