1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 14, 2019 10:47 AM by Jason Atkinson

    Seeking Great Uncle's military records


      How is it possible to obtain my Great Uncles (PVT) Army military records, who was KIA in November of 1944? He was 23, had no children, both parents are gone, all bothers and sister are gone. I do not see the National Archives having a listing for nephews being granted access.

      TIA, Carlos Olivares

        • Re: Seeking Great Uncle's military records
          Jason Atkinson Ranger

          Dear Mr. Olivares,

          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

          The records of military personnel who died during World War II are open to everyone. You do not need to have a specific relationship to the deceased veteran to request these records.

          Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for enlisted men of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service or who died while in service after October 1912 and prior to 1957 and officers of the U.S. Army who were separated from the service or who died while in service after June 1917 and prior to 1957 are in the custody of NARA’s National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. For information about accessing these files, see Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF), Archival Records Requests.

          Burial case files from 1915-WWII are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL), P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-1002. For access to these records, please contact RL-SL via email at stl.archives@nara.gov.

          For WWII-1976, the National Archives at St. Louis (RL-SL) currently holds the Army Individual Deceased Personnel Files for men with surnames A-L. They have not yet received the records of veterans with surnames M-Z. In order to request those records please write to U.S. Army Human Resources Command, Casualty &; Memorial Affairs Operations Division, ATTN: AHRC-PDC, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Department 450, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5405.

          World War II Army Enlistment Records are in the custody of the Electronic Records Division (RDE) and are available via AAD (Access to Archival Databases) on the National Archives website at: https://aad.archives.gov/aad/. Click on “World War II” under the category section. A list of the databases relating to WWII will appear and select the first database to search the WWII Army Enlistment Records.

          If your great uncle was buried in a cemetery maintained by the American Battle Monuments Commission their may be a listing for him on their website. The National Cemetery Administration provides a Grave Locator for national cemeteries under their jurisdiction. Neither database lists veterans buried in private cemeteries.

          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your family research!

          1 person found this helpful