1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 19, 2019 10:37 AM by Becca Simons

Looking for information on Charles Clifton Redmond

Kathleen Hall Newbie

Good day, I am looking for any information on my great grandfather Charles Clifton Redmond.

He was born in 1878 to Charles Clinton Redmond (Born in Solon, Maine and died in Salem in approx 1889)and Minnie B (Tryon) Redmond. Minnie B Redmond was born in Sept 1850 in Vermont and died in approx 1940 Washington DC

His siblings were: Lena May Steadman (Married Christopher Steadman), Ernest Rothemel Redmond, and Eugene Tryon Redmond (married Helen Eames of Hawaii).

I have located Charles in Censuses and Salem Directories up until 1903. From there I cannot seem to track him! He also did partake in the Anglo Boer War in South Africa in 1901 as part of the Kitcheners Fighting Scouts.

Any assistance would be appreciated!

Kathleen

• Re: Looking for information on Charles Clifton Redmond
          Becca Simons Scout

Dear Ms. Hall,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched Ancestry and located a military service record for Charles Clifton Redmond in the Second Boer War. We also located a 1900 marriage record for Clifton C Redmond and Theresa Farren in Brookline, Massachusetts; Minnie B Tyron and Charles Clinton Redmond are listed as Clifton’s parents. Aside from this information, which you may already be aware of, we located records pertaining to the information listed in your posting. In the 1903 Salem directory, Charles is listed as “rem. [removed] to”. There also is a passenger list record for a Charles Redmond who arrived in Southampton, England from Durban, South Africa on July 25, 1905.

To view these records on Ancestry, there may be a fee. Or you could view the records online at one NARA's facilities for free via ALIC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations/. Many of the records are also available on FamilySearch for free.

To find more about Charles Clifton Redmond’s military service, we suggest that you contact The National Archives in Kew, UK; there is a web page on British military service that you may want to look at.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck on your family research!

1 person found this helpful