4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2019 2:17 PM by Ben Kempner

    Seeking records of Mom's sponsorship


      I would like to find the documents that my mother's cousin must have completed to sponsor my mother's escape from Nazi Europe in 1938. What would those documents or affidavits be called?  And where can they be found?


      Thank you.


        • Re: Seeking records of Mom's sponsorship

          Dear Mr. Kempner,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Your best starting point will be to track down any Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) file(s) that may exist for your mother.  She likely has an Alien File (A-File) that would have a document(s) indicating any sponsorship to leave Europe. A form found in A-Files called the Immigration Visa and Alien Registration Form usually contains notations regarding sponsorship for individuals who fled the Nazis. There could also be additional paperwork included such as correspondence or sponsorship applications. Here is NARA’s A-Files webpage that includes information about the files and the request process.


          All of the A-Files currently maintained by NARA are name searchable in our online catalog. If you do not locate a match in the catalog, you can place an Index Search request through the US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Genealogy Program. USCIS maintains all A-Files (and a variety of other immigration/naturalization related file types) that have not yet transferred to NARA for permanent retention.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck on your research!


          [Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]


          3 people found this helpful