2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2019 11:06 AM by Becca Simons Branched to a new discussion.

    Seeking OMPF of deceased relative


      How do I obtain military personnel records of a deceased relative?

        • Re: Seeking OMPF of deceased relative
          J. Andrew Scout

          See the link below for complete information. If this is a recently deceased relative and you need this information for a burial, be sure to read the section on emergency requests and deadlines.


          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking OMPF of deceased relative

            Dear Mr. Kovacich,


            Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


            Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces prior to 1957 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Many Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, but proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy & Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. 


            We hope this information is helpful.


            1 person found this helpful