3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2019 7:23 AM by Jason Atkinson

Seeking passenger arrival records of  SS Leonardo Da Vinci, 1961-62

Hi,

I'm looking to find passenger ship arrival records for New York Harbor (West Side Piers) for 1961-1962 for the SS Leonardo Da Vinci. NARA's website does not seem to cover that harbor for those years. I would greatly appreciate any direction as to other possible sources.

• Re: Seeking passenger arrival records of  SS Leonardo Da Vinci, 1961-62
          Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Casolino,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1/1958 - 1/1983. For access to and questions about these records, please contact the National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov. The records through 1967 are now available in digital form and can be viewed online via Ancestry as part of the collection New York State, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1917-1967.  There may be a fee for this service. OR you may view these records online at one of NARA’s facilities for free via ALIC. For the nearest NARA location, please consult our web page at https://www.archives.gov/locations.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with your research!

1 person found this helpful

Hi Jason,

Thank you for your response. Upon your suggestion, I researched the relevant database (Passenger and Crew Lists of Vessels Arriving at New York, New York, 1/1958 - 1/1983) on Ancestry.com and unfortunately, there were no matches. I have no doubt as to the accuracy of my and my parent's last name, year, port, and ship of arrival. In addition, the name search for my parent's immigration and naturalization documents (which, fortunately, I have) also has zero results on Ancestry.com. I did locate an uncle's record, so it seems like the data is incomplete. Is it possible that the original NARA records are more comprehensive? Or, are the Ancestry.com records an exact reproduction of the ones at NARA?

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you,

- Anthony E. Casolino

Jason Atkinson Pioneer

Dear Mr. Casolino,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub.

Passenger arrival and departure records dated post 1957 were filmed by the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) and the original paper records were not retained.  The accessioned microfilm reels now in the custody of the National Archives are the record copies of the original paper records which no longer exist. Unfortunately, due to the fragile nature of the original camera negative film, access to the microfilm is limited until it can be transferred to a more suitable format.  The National Archives is in the process of transferring the microfilm to a digital format, and all digitized copies will eventually be available online. We spoke to our immigration subject matter expert and she said the records available through Ancestry for the time period you requested may be incomplete. In order to request a search of the original microfilm, please contact National Archives at Washington, DC - Textual Reference (RDT1) via email at archives1reference@nara.gov. All requests for passenger arrival records dated post 1957 must include the full name of the passenger; exact day/month/year of arrival; port of arrival; and name of the ship.

Additionally, all immigrants admitted since May 1, 1951 should be entirely documented in an Alien File (A-File).  The USCIS manifest arrivals and A-Files are available through the USCIS Freedom of Information Act Program (FOIA): https://www.uscis.gov/g-639The form must be submitted to the USCIS address listed under the “Where to File” tab.

We hope this information is helpful.