3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 7, 2019 7:19 PM by Allen Ruth

    Looking for information on my wife's uncle.


      Looking for information on my wife's uncle, he registered for the draft 16 Oct 1941, in Kentucky. His name was Alva S. Maddox.

        • Re: Looking for information on my wife's uncle.

          Dear Mr. Ruth,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          We suggest that you request a copy of his Official Military Personnel File (OMPF). OMPF and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and were separated from the service prior to 1955 are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. In many cases where Army Air Corps personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy OMPFs were not affected by the fire. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002.

          We searched enlistment records for WWII in the AAD and located a Alva L. Maddox from Virginia, the closest match to the name you provided. 

          Selective Service records for individuals who served after World War I and born before 1960 are in the custody of the National Archives at St. Louis, ATTN: RL-SL, P.O. Box 38757, St. Louis, MO 63138-0757. There are two types of records: ledgers and the cards. The ledgers are in the public domain and not restricted by privacy. The cards are considered personal information and written permission for release, a death certificate, and/or an indication the information is requested for genealogical purposes should accompany the request for copies of the cards. Please complete a Form NA-18172 to request a search of these records.

          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck on your research!


          2 people found this helpful
          • Re: Looking for information on my wife's uncle.

            Mr. Ruth,


            Following up on the response to you from Becca Simons on June 17, 2019, I performed additional searches in the World War II enlistment records and found a record for an Alva S. MACDOX, a resident of Owen County, Kentucky, born in 1915. He enlisted in the U.S. Army on February 2, 1942. This enlistment date would be consistent with a draft registration in October 1941 (the draft registration date would not be an Army record but would be a Selective Service System record). For more detail see https://aad.archives.gov/aad/record-detail.jsp?dt=893&mtch=2&cat=all&tf=F&sc=24994,24995,24996,24998,24997,24993,24981,24983&bc=,sl,fd&txt_24995=Alva+S&op_24995=0&nfo_24995=V,24,1900&cl_24996=52&op_24996=null&nfo_24996=V,2,1900&rpp=10&pg=1&rid=5602299&rlst=1158228,5602299. My guess is this is your wife’s uncle. The spelling of the last name of Macdox rather than Maddox is doubtlessly a typo as I can find records in other sources for Alva S. Maddox, including his death in 1979.


            You should follow the suggestion Ms. Simons makes in the first paragraph of her response with respect to requesting a copy of Alva S. Maddox’s Official Military Personnel File, but request the record with the misspelled last name of Macdox. Note that his record may have been destroyed in the 1973 fire but nonetheless it may have been reconstructed from other sources.


            Good luck.

            1 person found this helpful