2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2019 2:21 PM by Becca Simons

Seeking reason for uncle's purple heart

Loree Ellis Newbie

I have my uncle's discharge papers showing he received his purple heart, (GO 86 HQ 30th Gen Hosp 12 Nov 44) it also shows he received the EAME Campaign Medal with 3 Bronze Stars. I would love to learn what all of this means.  I am working on a presentation for one of my college history classes, any info would be helpful.

Thank you

Loree

• Re: Seeking reason for uncle's purple heart
          Elliot Schneider Tracker

Loree,

This means that your uncle was in the EAME stands for European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal the three bronze stars were issued on the Campaign medal signifying that your uncles war unit was involved in three battles also known as battle stars.

The purple heart was issued by a the HQ 30th General Hospital on Nov 12, 1944 most likely wounds that he received from the war, this General Hospital I believe was based in California from 1942-1945 also became known as the hospital near UCLA. May need to search records under the 30th Gen Hosp and look for that General Order # 86 from those files.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: Seeking reason for uncle's purple heart
            Becca Simons Scout

Dear Ms. Ellis,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the World War II Operations Reports, 1940-1948 in the Records of the Adjutant General's Office, 1905-1981 (Record Group 407) and located General Order No. 86 (1944) of the 30th General Hospital. For a copy of the records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

Additional information about awards, please see the U.S. Army Center of Military History at https://history.army.mil/html/forcestruc/lh.html.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck on your research!

1 of 1 people found this helpful