1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 6, 2019 2:28 PM by Legislative Archives

How was Walt Disney Company permitted to use the Great Seal

Mindy Chumbley Newbie

I am helping research a book on Walt Disney history.  We've found stories about the Great Seal in the Hall of Presidents in Walt Disney World.  This frequently states that it took an act of Congress to get permission for Disney to use the Seal.  I can't find any such act.  Help?

• Re: How was Walt Disney Company permitted to use the Great Seal
          Legislative Archives Adventurer

Hi Mindy,

Thank you for posting to History Hub!

To research this topic, I highly recommend searching the Congressional Record. You may find the U.S. Serial Set and the Federal Register helpful as well.

The Congressional Record and the Federal Register are both freely available online through govinfo, a service of the Government Publishing Office.

The Congressional Record is the official record of proceedings and debate on the floor of the U.S. Senate and the U.S. House of Representatives. It's published daily while Congress is in session. If a bill or resolution was introduced to Congress, it will be listed in the Congressional Record.

The Federal Register is the official daily publication for rules, proposed rules, and notices of Federal agencies and organizations, as well as executive orders and other presidential documents.

The U.S. Serial Set is a series of reports and documents published by Congress. It's available through ProQuest Congressional, a subscription database. You can access ProQuest through computers at National Archives research locations, and also usually through local academic or law libraries.

I can link you to 18 USC 713, which is the part of the United States Code regarding the use of the likeness of the great seal of the United States.

You can also contact the Walt Disney Archives -- there is a contact page. I imagine they'd keep a record of all congressional or presidential action involving the company.  

Cheers!

Sarah