6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2019 10:21 AM by Elliot Schneider

WW2 Discharge?

Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Hello NARA,

Question regarding discharge the unit on my grandfathers discharge was called the 499th AAA Gun BN, which is the unit listed on his papers. However, after doing my own research found that this unit was inactivated or disbanded in 1943.

My question is how can a unit be used on a discharge that was disbanded 1943, when he was demobilized in 1946 using a unit that was inactivated 3 years prior to the end of the war.

Also have tried using the unit listed on his discharge papers to go backwards from that unit to see where he was transferred from, but they cannot locate morning reports because that unit was not activated at the time of his discharge, but used. So I'm list as to how to obtain his actual service unit. Family knows he was in an Engineer Company that was stationed in the Philippines, New Guinea. Any leads on how to find actual unit utilizing records from St. Louis would be great. I'm think maybe final pay records but chances are that wont help either because most final pay never show unit, but worth a shot.

Thanks,

Elliot Schneider

• Re: WW2 Discharge?
          joan stachnik Tracker

Elliot, just curious if you looked at the 1943 morning reports, just prior to the unit being deactivated? joan

Holly Rivet Tracker

Dear Mr. Schneider,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

Given the oddity of your grandfather’s case, we would recommend you submit a SF-180 to stl.archives@nara.gov for us to assist you. 

We hope this information has been helpful!

Sincerely,

Holly Rivet

Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Holly,

Thank you for the response one year ago I request his files was told it had burned in the fire. So I reached out to county representatives and they had his discharge papers. Do you think that final pay records would show his war unit or the weird disbanded from 1943 unit listed on his discharge papers. Any other thoughts had to what I should request.

Much appreciated,

Elliot Schneider

Holly Rivet Tracker

Dear Mr. Schneider,

Thank you for posting your follow-up request on History Hub!

It is hit or miss that his unit would appear on the final pay voucher.  What you should find is his location of final disbursement. Since a whole unit is not mustered out at one time, the individual was sent to another unit for that purpose.  From that date and location, a search through the morning reports would be possible and you would simply work your way back in time to find out when he was no longer attached to 499th AAA Gun Bn. 

I did check the Morning Report Index for 499th AAA Gun Bn and you are spot on, it did not exist in that year.  We recommend requesting the Final Pay Voucher from stl.archvies@nara.gov.  Please include a scan of his separation document so we can best assist you.

We hope this information has been helpful!

Holly Rivet

1 person found this helpful
                        Elliot Schneider Pioneer

Hello Holly,

Requested final pay records per your suggestion.

I did get a copy of final pay and everything pertaining to his military records is off by one numerical number, someone thought it was a 9 instead of a 7.

It is amazing that one number can through everything off. According to final pay records I'm looking for the 497th AAA Gun battalion records within your holdings.

Thanks again,

Elliot Schneider