1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 7, 2019 10:45 AM by Becca Simons

    Seeking Father's naturalization papers


      How can I find my fathers naturalization papers?

        • Re: Seeking Father's naturalization papers

          Dear Mr. Wasserman,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          Prior to September 27,1906, any "court of record" (municipal, county, state, or Federal) could grant U.S. citizenship. As a general rule, the National Archives does not have naturalization records created in State or local courts. However, a few indexes and records have been donated to the National Archives from counties, states and local courts and are available as National Archives microfilm publications. See the list of this county and state microfilm available.

          • Contact the State Archives for the state where the naturalization occurred to request a search of state, county, and local courts records.
          • Contact the NARA regional facility that serves the state where naturalization occurred to request a search of Federal court records.

          After September 26, 1906, the courts forwarded copies of naturalizations to the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS). Naturalizations from Federal Courts are held in NARA's regional facilities for the Federal courts for their area. The National Archives in Washington, DC holds naturalization records for Federal Courts in Washington, DC.


          Additional records from the naturalization process (i.e. Certificate of Citizenship) may be obtained by requesting a copy from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Genealogy Program (www.uscis.gov/genealogy). Please complete their request form and send it by mail or online.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck on your family research!


          [Information provided by Elizabeth Burnes, Subject Matter Expert]