1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 5, 2019 9:15 AM by Becca Simons

    Seeking father's military picture from WWII


      I am trying to find a military picture of my father in his uniform from WWII.  We do not have one.  Dad didn't talk of the war much, until his last years of life after I was privileged to escort him on his Honor Flight trip to the WWII memorial.  It was a trip of a lifetime for him.  He was always so afraid of having flashbacks if he did open up.  He was injured with shrapnel after coming in on Omaha Beach and fighting all the way across to Nancy, France, where he was hit.  That was November 21, 1944 and he came to on Thanksgiving Day following.




        • Re: Seeking father's military picture from WWII

          Dear Mr. Tischer,


          Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!


          The "official" photos of individuals, taken by the military, are not considered to be permanent federal records by the respective military services and are not retained by the service. If the photo you are seeking still exists, it will most likely be found in the individual's Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).


          Official Military Personnel Files (OMPFs) and individual medical reports for those who served in the U.S. Armed Forces for the Vietnam War are in the custody of NARA's National Personnel Records Center in St. Louis. Many Army and Air Force personnel records were destroyed in the 1973 fire, but proof of service can be provided from other records such as morning reports, payrolls, and military orders, and a certificate of military service will be issued. Navy & Marine Corps OMPFs were not affected. Please complete a GSA Standard Form 180 and mail it to NARA's National Personnel Records Center, (Military Personnel Records), 1 Archives Drive, St. Louis, MO  63138-1002. 


          Photographs of various U.S. Army, Navy, and Marine Corps activities dating from 1940 to 2007 are in the custody of the National Archives at College Park - Still Pictures (RDSS). Please contact RDSS via email at stillpix@nara.gov. The web site is https://www.archives.gov/dc-metro/college-park/photographs-dc.html.


          We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck on your research!