1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 11, 2019 2:56 PM by Rebecca Collier

Searching for document authorizing the 173rd Airborne Brigade (SEP)

TErry Parker Newbie

The 173rd Airborne Brigade (SEP) was first organized on the Island of Okinawa in 1963.  I am searching for a document which would have authorized the creation of the 173rd.  I find nothing in the Congressional Records.  I find nothing in the Unit historical office.  There has to be something that General Williamson used to create the 173rd.  I would also like to find something from President J.F. Kennedy that authorized the creation of JFK Center For Military Assistance.

• Re: Searching for document authorizing the 173rd Airborne Brigade (SEP)
          Rebecca Collier Ranger

Dear Terry Parker,

Thank you for posting your request on History Hub!

We searched the National Archives Catalog and located a series titled Organizational History, 1965-1971 in the Records of the U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia, 1950-1976 (Record Group 472) of the 173rd Airborne Brigade. The history of the 173rd included this statement: “The 173rd Airborne Brigade (Separate) was activated on 25 June 1963 under the Army’s ROAD concept (Reorganization Objective Army Division)” (Box 1).

We also located another series titled Organizational History Files, 1963-1969 in the Records of the Army Staff (Record Group 319) of the U.S. Army Center of Military History. Appendix A of the History of the 173rd Airborne Brigade includes U.S. Army, Pacific (USARPAC) General Order No. 207 dated 17 May 1963 that activates the 173rd (Box 15).

For access to and/or copies of these records, please contact the National Archives at College Park - Textual Reference (RDT2) via email at archives2reference@nara.gov.

For a history of the U.S. Army Institute for Military Assistance (later part was called the U.S. Army John F. Kennedy Special Warfare Center), please see https://www.soc.mil/SWCS/about.html.

We hope this information is helpful. Best of luck with you research!

2 of 2 people found this helpful