1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 12, 2019 10:07 AM by Lauren Algee

Reference to Rudyard Kipling work in Whitman Campaign

Dina Pavlova Wayfarer

Working on one of the docs in the Walt Whitman campaign and found a reference to a work by Rudyard Kipling...title: "The Book of the Forty-Five Mornings." Having not heard of that title, I went searching for it online and could not find anything about it. Does anyone know anything about this title? It is referenced here: https://crowd.loc.gov/campaigns/walt-whitman/poetry/mss1863000796/mss1863000796-12/

Just curious.

Thank you!

Dina Pavlova

• Re: Reference to Rudyard Kipling work in Whitman Campaign
          Lauren Algee Adventurer

Hi Sharon!  What a fun mystery that I finally had some time to dig into.

I searched the Library of Congress's own books by title (as you likely did as well) and also didn't find anything.  Searching the web broadly for "book of forty-five mornings" AND "kipling", I found several references to this as a book that Kipling planned but never wrote. I also found additional advertisements as well in books of the period. Fascinating!

The sources I found were:

• Kipling, Rudyard, and Thomas Pinney. The Letters of Rudyard Kipling: Vol. 1. Basingstoke [etc.: Macmillan, 1990. Print. (page 6, in footnote 2)
          • Crook, Nora. Kipling's Myths of Love and Death. Place of publication not identified: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014. Print. (page 193, in footnote 44)